Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rubber Ball, Martyr

Mommy made good on a promise.

The kids just wouldn't pick up their stuff tonight.  I came home from work and there were new toys scattered across the living room, complete with packaging, and a few bread rolls to boot.  The boys were excited there were new toys to play with, so I didn't mind too too much, but the trash and food I was so not impressed with.  Then they got out the new science experience book.  Then after we created on experiment, they wanted another.  My response, not until you pick up.  Well, the 2nd experiment never happened.

I probably asked them to pick up for an hour.  At some point during that time, not only did I take a break to have my own dinner, but I told them if the toys weren't picked up by the time I finished eating and picking up my mess, then their toys would go in the trash.  Not well received as you can imagine.  Didn't help much though.  Sure a few things were picked up, but there were tons of complaints, and many tears as well.  Finally, I picked up a small rubber ball, which we have plenty of, and threw it in the trash.  Lots of tears, but movement began to happen in the cleaning department.  Later I had something else in my hand to throw away, but I let it be taken out of my hand and put away properly.

I really didn't want to throw away their new toys, but I needed to make good on a threat. I feel good about it, because I was able to carry through when the job wasn't done.  My point was made, and in the long run, they aren't going to care about the ball, but they may remember it for some time.  I may have to use this again, and I'll have to make sure I carry it out in the same way - I'll make sure there is something of little worth to me, something that just adds to the clutter, that I'll be able to throw away if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment