Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Basket Full of Trash

I took a personal day from work yesterday, sent the kids to school, hubby was sleeping all day, which meant I had the day to myself.  So....what did I do?  I cleaned the kids' room.

I did some major laundry on Mother's Day (what a thing to do on Mother's Day, hey?) - so much so I had to go to the laundromat.  There were still 2 baskets of laundry sitting in their room, and some birthday clothes from Grandma and Grandpa's visit from the day before, so I started with putting that away.  I also picked out a few things out of their closets that were definitely too small and/or too winter and put those away.  I tidied up their closets a bit and they look better than they did a month ago when I cleaned them.

Next I made the beds (which I rarely do) and put some pillows and stuffed animals on them.  As anyone reading this blog knows, I love stuffed animals and can't really bare to part with them.  I've whittled that down before, so now I just need to find homes for them all.  I cleaned off the top of the bookshelf (which I organized not so long ago and it still looks good - could be because we are doing a lot of library lending lately.  Right now we have 37 books checked out of the library!) and put all the story characters, Big and Little Nutbrown Hare, Curious George and Mr. Knox to name a few, on top.  I cleared the top of what used to be the dresser attached to their crib, and put the rest of the animals on that. It looks good.

Then, I conquered the tall bookshelf with all the coloring stuff, arts and crafts and games.  With the extra shelf that used to store stuffed animals, it all looks great now.  There is more room so everything is not cramped and messy looking.  Since the animals are gone, there isn't going to be a constant spill out from the bottom shelf that I'm always picking up.  I'm happy with what I accomplished yesterday.

I haven't talked about the trash!  I did mention a  few pieces of winter clothing I put away, but I also cleared out all the leftover pull ups and swimmies.  I'll give those to a friend.  I put a puzzle book into my Salvy pile. I threw out a puzzle that was missing a piece, and threw out some paper that had been cut up and colored on.  I tossed a few coloring pages, broken crayons and old stickers too.  It filled up their bedroom basket, so that's pretty good.  I'm sure I could really go through more, but nothing is really over flowing or messy, so I'm ok.

I didn't have the chance to clear off their dresser, but I can do that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment