Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Deliberate About Random

Again, I don't remember what I threw away yesterday.  I do know, though, I am deliberate about the random things I'm getting rid of.  Like tonight, I wanted to write something down, so I opened my drawer that contains that big basket of pens I've mentioned.  I could have reached for a pencil or pen from the top drawer, or looked right in front of me in my basket of pens I take scrapbooking with me, but I purposely went into that bottom drawer.  I dug into the basket, knowing that I might come up with a pen that didn't work.  And I did.  In fact, I think I went through three or four pens until I found one that worked.  The non working pens went into the trash.

This is the kind of deliberate action I'm taking in throwing random things away.  I'm not necessarily looking for things.  I'm seizing a moment I have and making a deliberate choice. I'm getting rid of the attachment issues I have and I'm personalizing less.  The other day I threw away a travel coffee mug because it was leaking a little.  Why keep something that isn't working right, especially when I have so many more at home and will likely end up with a new one as a gift or from some event I attend soon?

I still want to take some deliberate time and purposely go through a bin or drawer or file and fill a trash bag.  For now though, I'm happy with the steps I'm taking and the strides I'm making.  This feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment